Author Notes: Classic shortbread, made with just four ingredients. —londonbakes
Makes: 12 to 16 cookies
Prep time: 45 min
Cook time: 30 min
cup unsalted butter, softened
cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
cups all-purpose flour
In This Recipe
- Using either a wooden spoon or an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (at least 5 - 10 minutes)
- Mix in the flour and the salt until completely incorporated; you may need to knead the dough together if it's looking a little crumbly (as you would pastry) but it should stick together. Add a splash of milk if it's really not working for you.
- Roll the dough out thinly and cut it into shapes, rounds, or fingers. Place in the fridge for half an hour or so, until firm. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Sprinkle the tops with sugar, chopped nuts, or cocoa nibs.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so, until just golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to stand on the baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!