If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: First, this salad is just gorgeous. The dark kale and grapes contrasted with the fuchsia watermelon radishes and the crispy golden nuts is stunning. It would be a perfect addition to any holiday menu on looks alone.
The best part is that it tastes as good as it looks, and the flavors here come together in such a special way— each ingredient is distinct, but work together to make something special. —eat-drink-garden
- 1 bunch black Kale (Lacinato Kale); about 24-26 leaves
- 1 large watermelon radish or 4 breakfast radishes, thinly sliced and quartered
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups black grapes, sliced in half
- 1 cup spiced nuts
- 1 cup cooked Rancho Gordo Christmas Limas (or other black bean)
- 1/2 cup dressing (see below)
- juice of a 1/2 lemon
- Remove the ribs of the kale, then wash and chop into a dice. You should have about 4 cups packed.
- Thinly slice the watermelon radish and then quarter the slices.
- Thinly slice the shallot and place in a bowl of fresh water while you are prepping the rest of the ingredients for the salad. When you are ready to toss the salad, dump the water out and squeeze the excess water out of the shallots. This helps take out the raw taste from the onion.
- In a large bowl combine the kale, radishes, shallots, grapes, spiced nuts, beans and ½ cup of the dressing.
- Toss the salad. Let the salad sit for a minimum of 30 min before serving so that the kale soaks up the flavor of the dressing.
- When just about to serve, squeeze the juice of a half of a lemon over the salad and toss one more time. I know it sounds crazy but just do it. It will really brighten up the flavor of the salad.
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (make it a heaping tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine first 6 ingredients and whisk in oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side