If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Faced with an abundance of seasonal farm-grown produce, I couldn’t resist making this fragrant soup to celebrate the season. Sweet, tart, and earthy, this bisque offers a warming blend of heirloom tomatoes, cream, and fresh herbs. Serve it with crunchy, waffled grilled cheese sandwiches on the side. —Feed Me Dearly
Food52 Review: WHO: Feed Me Dearly lives in New York with her husband, 2 kids, and 400 cookbooks.
WHAT: A spin on a classic summertime lunch.
HOW: Make a tomato soup from a generous helping of cream, onion, chicken broth, and heirloom tomatoes. As it simmers, sandwich Saint-André cheese between white sandwich bread and grill it in a waffle maker. Dip away.
WHY WE LOVE IT: As grilled cheese aficionados, it takes something special to catch our eye, but this version, with its crispy edges, golden-brown, thin shell, and buttery cheese waffled its way into our hearts—and stomachs. —The Editors
For the tomato soup:
- 1 small diced onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh, chopped oregano
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in 4 tablespoons of the butter, and add the salt and oregano until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- While the tomatoes and broth come to a simmer, prepare a roux in a separate small saucepan. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, then add the flour. Stirring for a few minutes until the flour just starts to brown.
- Add the cream and half-and-half, stirring constantly until just simmering. With the heat on low, cook the mixture for 20 minutes, covered. Add the mixture into the pot with the tomatoes.
- Add the ground cloves and purée the soup with an immersion blender.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper, and serve with the waffled grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Note: If the tomato soup ends up separating, just re-blend it with your immersion blender.
For the grilled cheese sandwiches:
- 12 ounces Saint-André cheese, chilled
- 16 slices of white sandwich bread
- 4 ounces butter
- Cut the chilled Saint-André cheese into 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch slices and divide it evenly between it in between the half of the slices of sandwich bread. Top each cheesy half with another slice.
- Butter each side of the sandwich and grill it inside a waffle iron until the bread is nice and golden, about 2 minutes.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!