If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Recipe inspired by Cooks Illustrated.
A few notes from Larry:
- You can also add mushrooms to this dish. Add 1 cup, chopped, along with the shallots.
- Sausage is a nice addition as well. Add raw sausage with the shallots or cooked sausage at the very end.
- Don't omit the capers or anchovies! Otherwise, "you are just making spaghetti sauce." —sarah kieffer | the vanilla bean blog
tablespoons olive oil
4 to 5
garlic cloves, minced or pressed
pinch red pepper flakes
cup Kalamata olives, chopped coarse
anchovy fillets, minced
ounces canned, diced tomatoes, drained (or 4 cups fresh)
cup red wine
Parmesan cheese, grated
Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Cook the pasta until al dente in 4 quarts of salted, boiling water.
- While the water is boiling, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté the shallots until translucent, then add the garlic, red pepper flakes, olives, capers, anchovies, tomatoes, and the wine. Cook for about ten minutes, until the tomatoes start to break down.
- Divide the pasta between four plates, then divide the sauce evenly over the pasta. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan and chopped basil.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!