If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You’ve got to love a bowl of thick, sweet and aromatic vegetable soup. It’s therapeutic, filling and hearty. The leeks add a lovely depth of flavor. This recipe a great way to embrace the season’s fresh produce. Best eaten with toasted bread for dunking. —Diana
- 50 grams short grain, starchy rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tomato, skinned and grated
- 1 bay leave, thyme sprig, and cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar or maple syrup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash rice thoroughly and soak in a large bowl of water for about 20 minutes. Sieve and cook in a small pot. Set aside.
- In a large pot, fry veggies with a pinch of salt and pepper in olive oil (without the grated tomato) over medium heat while continuously stirring them for three minutes.
- Top veggies with broth, sugar, spices and grated tomato. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes while stirring from time to time.
- Remove bay leaves and blend soup.Top off with sieved rice.