Author Notes: This recipe came from the wife of a friend of mine. It tastes wonderful fresh from the oven, but even better the next day. I usually wrap it in a tortilla and eat it like a burrito or pour it in a bowl over corn chips with a little bit of sour cream or Mexican Crema. This can also be made with a pork roast instead of beef. —Chris Cole
pounds Beef roast
5 - 10
Whole Green Chilies, roasted and diced
Cloves of garlic crushed
ounces Can of pureed tomatillios.
cup Red Wine
Whole yellow onion chopped
cup Chicken Broth
couple of tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 300 Degrees
- Generously season the meat on both sides with Salt and pepper
- Heat Dutch oven (or similar oven proof pot) on stove top over medium high heat. Add some olive and sear roast on all sides. This should be about 3 minutes per side. Remove roast and set aside.
- Add a little more olive oil and add the diced onions. Stir onions until they become a golden brown. (about 5 minutes)
- Add crushed garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Now add the red wine and reduce until its almost all gone and there is a little bit of sauce in the bottom.
- After the wine is reduced, add the chicken broth, green chilies, tomatillos, and the roast to the pot.
- Cover the pot and place in the oven at 300 degrees for around 3 hours.
- After the roast has fully cooked, shred it and mix it all together and enjoy.