If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Golden Tomato Rarebit: Creamy, melted, silky cheese and tomatoes on toast. Is this fondue on a plate? Welsh rarebit with tomatoes? An open faced grilled cheese? Whatever you want to call this, it is just wonderful for a lazy supper. http://atableatrobertridge.blogspot.com/2014/10/golden-tomato-rarebit.html —Vicki Amsinger
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup beer or ale
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 dash dry mustard powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 dash paprika, for garnish
- 8 pieces bread, toasted
- Pour the soup, beer and Worcestershire into a saucepan and heat and bring to a good simmer. Slowly whisk in the cheese in handfuls, whisking each handful until it is melted before adding the next. Add in the salt, pepper, mustard powder and cayenne.
- Pour a little of the warm cheese mixture into the eggs/milk to temper them and then add the eggs/milk into the saucepan of cheese sauce. Bring to a boil, whisking for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens and remove from heat.
- Let sit for 2-3 minutes. Place 2 pieces of toast on each plate and spoon the cheese sauce over the toast. Sprinkle on paprika and serve hot.