If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While we always enjoy spoonfuls of classic tomato soup with toasty grilled cheese on a crisp day, I decided to add a little creativity with a heartier, aromatic spin. We roasted the tomatoes with carrots and onions which allowed the flavors to become much more concentrated and sweet. —Twin Tastes
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into thick biases
- 1 yellow onion, cut into large wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper throughout
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On an oiled baking sheet, toss the tomatoes, carrots, onions, generously with 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt and pepper and thyme. Roast for 35-40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and golden brown, turning occasionally.
- Heat a large pot on medium heat. Pour 1 T EVOO inside and add the garlic. Sautee for 1 minute then pour in the roasted vegetables, paprika, chicken stock, and bring to a simmer. When the baking sheet is cool enough, add the scraped roasting bits as well. Let simmer for at least 15 minutes, then add 1/4 c chopped basil. Puree the soup in a blender in multiple batches. When blending, fill the blender halfway with the vegetable mixture to create a smooth puree. Pour the pureed liquid into a large bowl and continue with the remaining soup. Return the pureed soup to the large pot and let simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with remaining fresh basil and serve with Mini Grilled Cheese Croutons.