Author Notes: I first started experimenting with oatmeal when I dabbled in a 30-day vegan diet two years ago. My originating inspiration was from a restaurant at Pike Place Market in Seattle where one can order up a yummy bowl of oatmeal topped with apples and cashews. This is my latest and most favorite incarnation of this breakfast of champions. —Beetsauce
Serves: 2 healthy bowls
cup rolled oats, organic if possible
cup date pieces
tablespoons ground flaxseed
2 - 3
tablespoons coconut flakes, organic if possible
pinches of kosher salt
Toasted nuts, as much as you like of cashews, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sliced almonds – use all some or none
Brown sugar, to taste
Milk, or non-dairy milk
- Combine oats, water, dates, flax, coconut and salt in a heavy-bottomed pan (1 quart). Set aside.
- Chop up nuts into smaller pieces and toast over medium heat. Stir regularly and watch closely so they toast evenly. 5 minutes. Remove from heat. (I like to make myself a cappuccino while the nuts are roasting).
- Place pan on medium low heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until oatmeal starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and let sit a minute or two.
- Place in your favorite bowls. Add brown sugar, milk and top with nuts. Eat with your favorite spoon
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge