If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first started experimenting with oatmeal when I dabbled in a 30-day vegan diet two years ago. My originating inspiration was from a restaurant at Pike Place Market in Seattle where one can order up a yummy bowl of oatmeal topped with apples and cashews. This is my latest and most favorite incarnation of this breakfast of champions. —Beetsauce
Serves 2 healthy bowls
cup rolled oats, organic if possible
cup date pieces
tablespoons ground flaxseed
2 - 3
tablespoons coconut flakes, organic if possible
pinches of kosher salt
Toasted nuts, as much as you like of cashews, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sliced almonds – use all some or none
Brown sugar, to taste
Milk, or non-dairy milk
- Combine oats, water, dates, flax, coconut and salt in a heavy-bottomed pan (1 quart). Set aside.
- Chop up nuts into smaller pieces and toast over medium heat. Stir regularly and watch closely so they toast evenly. 5 minutes. Remove from heat. (I like to make myself a cappuccino while the nuts are roasting).
- Place pan on medium low heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until oatmeal starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and let sit a minute or two.
- Place in your favorite bowls. Add brown sugar, milk and top with nuts. Eat with your favorite spoon
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Porridge