If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you ever get the chance, taste a fresh date. There are so many varieties and they all have unique flavors that you can't find in store-bought dates. My mom gets sugary-sweet fresh dates at her farmer's market in California -- she is usually nice enough to share. Inevitably they end up in a box with some of my other favorite fall fruits from the homeland -- persimmons, pomegranates, quince -- which ends up on my doorstep here in Denver! It is true that I like to take innocent drinks and adult-ify them just a bit, so I add rum to my date shakes. —gabsimonelouise
Food52 Review: A shake up from your usual cocktail. This cocktail is an apt prelude to an indulgent meal. Thick, creamy, and sweet -- it goes down easily. The date and banana flavors prevail, making it almost dessert. —Sue
- 1 large frozen banana
- 5 dates (fresh if you can find them)
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 ice cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons rum, or to taste
- Break up the frozen banana and blend it in a blender with the dates, cream, milk, and ice cubes. Once smooth, blend in the vanilla extract and rum. Easy enough?!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cocktail
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates