If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Because winter is coming, and I need my oven on about as much as I need my radiator on. —Erin McDowell
Food52 Review: WHO: Erinmcdowell is Food52’s test kitchen manager and resident pie expert.
WHAT: Your new favorite way to make oatmeal.
HOW: Mix together oats, spices, and chopped apricots and almonds. Put everything in a baking dish and pour over a sweet mixture of milk and cream. Bake your oatmeal while you get ready for the day. Once you’ve showered and dressed, your hot breakfast will be waiting for you.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Oatmeal is nice, but we always crave something to break up all that mush. Enter baked oatmeal: It’s got the creamy softness we love, but with a crust that gives us something to chew on. This one is full of dried fruit and chopped nuts -- fuel for the chilly day ahead (coffee will help, too). —The Editors
Makes 6 servings
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, divided (2 tablespoons melted, 2 tablespoons room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and generously butter a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Stir in the almonds and apricots. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, cream, honey, 1/4 cup brown sugar, egg, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and vanilla to combine. Pour over the oats. Dollop with remaining butter and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
- Bake until the oatmeal has absorbed the liquid and is golden brown on the surface, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!