Author Notes: Chock-full of whole, protein-packed ingredients, natural sugars, healthy oils, and fiber-packed pumpkin, this granola is unalloyed pure; a testament to the benefits of whole eating. Choose this pumpkin-thrice snack for a real energy boost—whether it be to start your day or a mid-afternoon snack—where excessive sugar, unhealthy oils, and processed ingredients won't pull you down.
This recipe was adapted from Minimalist Baker. —KvellintheKitchen
Makes: about 5 cups
cups rolled oats
cups raw pecans
cup raw pepitas
cup raisins or dried cherries
teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (plus extra dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice)
cup coconut or canola oil
cup maple syrup
cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 340 F.
- Mix the oats, nuts, seeds, raisins, spices, sugar (if using), and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the oil, maple syrup, and pumpkin puree and whisk. Pour the saucepan contents over the dry ingredients and quickly mix with a wooden spoon.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto two baking sheets* (or bake in two batches) and bake for 23-33 minutes, stirring a bit near the halfway point. *This ensures the mixture is completely spread out in a single layer. The mixture does fit on one baking sheet, but it will be compact and not properly crisp if too crowded.
- Once the granola is golden brown (usually about 25 minutes), remove from oven and let cool completely. It will crisp up as it cools.
- Transfer to an airtight container, where it will keep for a couple weeks.