If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Warm spinach salad with Dunbarton blue cheese, sliced apple and Lambrusco vinaigrette —julia sherman
- 1 bunch mature spinach
- 1 cortland apple
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Dunbarton blue cheese (or other mild blue cheese)
- maldon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Lambrusco vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 / 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut off roots of the spinach bunch, and then chop the bunch in half. Wash spinach very well, soaking it in the spinner, submerging the leaves in cold water multiple times before spinning. Spinach tends to be really gritty, and if you aren’t thorough in washing it, you will ruin this salad. Spin the spinach (ha).
- Peel apple, slice thinly and add to a small bowl with cold water and juice of one lemon, toss around (this will prevent the apple from browning and give it a little citrus kick).
- Slice shallot thinly. In a small sauce pan, add dressing ingredients except for oil. Allow to cook on low heat for about a minute until it is bubbling. Add your shallot to the pan and coat with the dressing.
- Add olive oil in a slow and steady stream, whisk to emulsify. While dressing is warm toss with spinach and make sure to coat all the leaves. Mature spinach is hearty enough that it will soften with the warm dressing without getting limp or soggy.
- Add apples and use a vegetable peeler or a cheese shaver to shave the cheese on top. Crack pepper on top and sprinkle with sea salt.