If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For an almost-instant snack, bundle your beautiful preserves into flaky phyllo pastry. Add a nugget of cheese for a special kind of deliciousness.
This recipe makes a lot -- freeze the extras, to be popped into the oven and ready in minutes. Phyllo is available in boxes of full-size or half-size sheets. The half sheets make 6 bundles per every 4 sheets; the full size will make 12 bundles from 4 sheets. —MrsWheelbarrow
Makes 24 bundles
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- One 1-pound box of phyllo sheets, defrosted in the refrigerator if frozen (at least 6 hours)
- 8 ounces preserves (I love to use tart cherry)
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese
- Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Unfurl the phyllo onto another baking sheet. Cover with a barely damp kitchen towel. Pluck one sheet from the pile of phyllo and place it on a clean, dry countertop; keep the remaining phyllo covered to prevent it from drying out. Using a pastry brush, brush the phyllo sheet with melted butter. The phyllo may stick to the brush and tear, but just go with it. Place another sheet of phyllo over the first, hiding any issues, and brush with more butter. Be generous -- the phyllo has no fat in it and needs the butter. Do this two more times so that 4 sheets are stacked. Lightly butter the final sheet.
- Using a sharp knife or a pizza or pastry cutter, cut the phyllo stack into 3-inch squares. Place 1 teaspoon of preserves and 1 nugget of cheese onto each stack. Gather the edges of each square and carefully form into a hobo bundle. The butter will hold it together -- just lift the bundle and squeeze shut around the equator, holding it from the bottom to avoid smooshing the gathered top. Set the bundles on one of the parchment-lined pans. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and filling. Freeze the bundles for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place the pans in the oven and bake the bundles for 4 to 8 minutes, depending on size, until browned. Watch carefully. Burned bundles are not joyful. Cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!