Author Notes: More than one friend had mentioned their surplus of apples from fall apple-picking adventures. I made Ottolenghi's carrot apple pecan muffins twice in one week, and then the idea for this vegan and chocolate muffin just sprouted. It only took two tries to get the texture right. It's a simple and rewarding recipe. —dagmaraelza
Makes: 16 muffins
grams all-purpose flour
grams cocoa powder
teaspoon baking soda
grams natural almond flour
grams flaxseed meal
teaspoon vanilla bean paste
tablespoon apple cider vinegar
tablespoons canola oil blend
milliliters fig juice
grams grated granny smith apple
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grate the apple, using the smaller, rectangular holes on a box grater.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
- Add almond flour, flaxseed meal, salt, and sugar. Mix.
- Make three indentations in the dry ingredients. Pour the vanilla into one, the oil into another, and the vinegar into the third. Mix.
- Pour the fig juice over the top and mix again.
- Fold in the grated apple.
- Fill medium sized baking cups with 70 g batter each, leaving 1/4 inch space at the top. Do not overfill. Bake for 22 minutes.