Author Notes: I love bacon and I love popcorn so this was a natural pair for me. Even if you don't make the caramel part, I bet you'll start popping your popcorn in bacon fat from now on! —vrunka
cup dry popcorn
cup roasted unsalted peanuts
cup light brown sugar
cup light corn syrup
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet by lightly spraying it with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, gently brown the bacon until crisp, about 8-10 minutes, flipping frequently. When they are crisp, set them aside and crumble once they are cool enough to handle.
- Pour off bacon fat from the skillet into a large pot (at least 5 quarts and with a lid). Heat the pot over medium high heat and add the popcorn. Cover with lid and pop popcorn, shaking frequently to distribute the kernels. Once the popping has stopped, remove from heat and pour popcorn into a large mixing bowl.
- Add crumbled bacon and peanuts to the popcorn and mix well.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Once it is melted, add the sugar and corn syrup and stir until sugar has dissolved. Bring up to a boil, then remove from heat. Add the baking soda and salt and pepper.
- Pour the caramel slowly over the popcorn stirring constantly. Once all the caramel is coating the popcorn mixture, spread it on your prepared sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring every five minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, Break mixture into bite sized pieces and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack