- Makes 1 big jar
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. And I want to make it as healthy as possible. I also love oats for breakfast as they're dead delicious, simple to make and protein rich. Here's my healthier version of granola. —Saghar Setareh
What You'll Need
rolled oats or a mix of oat and other grain flakes
honey or pure malt
almonds (or walnuts if you prefer)
- Peel the apples, chop them coarsely and put them to cook either in a small sauce pan or or bake them until tender. The important thing is not to add any water to them, other wise it’ll be too runny. Mash the cooked apple in a food processor. Now place a non sticking on the high heat, when it’s quite hot turn the heat a little down and tots the oat flakes (or you mix grain flakes, I’ve used oat flakes and mix grain flakes). Stir continuously until it start to smell great, and it’s lightly golden. Pour the flakes in a large bowl.
- Chop the almonds coarsely and toast them slightly in the same hot pan, add them to the same bowl when they’re slightly browned. Chop finely (depending on how you like it) the dry apricot and the mulberry and them to the bowl too.
- Add the honey (or malt) to the same non sticking pan that’s still on medium heat. When it’s quite warm and runny add the mashed apples and mix well. If the solution is too runny let it thicken a little, but keep stirring. Add the mixture to the bowl of flakes, nuts and dry fruit and mix very well. Season with cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Place a baking parchment on the oven tray and spread this mixture on it, so that it’s about 2 cm. tall maximum. Bake this on 180 degree until it is dried out. The time really depends on which type of oven you’re using. If it is fanned, the granola will be crunchy soon. Try 20 to 40 minutes, checking it out regularly.
- Take the tray out of the oven and let it cool down. Then break it into small pieces. It can be stored in a jar for about 2 weeks.
- Serve it with milk (with coffee), or yogurt and/or fresh fruit of the season. Naturally the recipes remains vegan if you use plant based milk or yoghurt.