If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Simple, delicious comfort food--I really can’t even imagine a better grilled cheese or a better tomato soup.
Rustic Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (add a little more if you like the heat)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional, but I love it)
- 28 ounces peeled San Marzano tomatoes in juice (1 large can), crush well with hands
- 1 big handful basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a large pot on med-low heat, add oil and butter.
- One it melts, add the onion and sauté for about 15 min (mixing it around to keep from burning) or until perfectly caramelized.
- Add in tomato paste and sauté together for another minute.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and put the lid on the pot to bring to a gentle boil. After the soup has reached a gentle boil, turn to low heat. At this point, go ahead and make the grilled cheese sandwiches because the soup is almost done. A couple minutes before serving the dish, stir in the basil and cream to the soup.
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place griddle/nonstick pan on med-low heat.
- Generously butter one side of each of the sourdough bread slices.
- Add a hefty handful of cheese to each slice and top with the other slice (butter side UP).
- Remove from heat, slice, and serve with tomato basil soup---and enjoy!