If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My italian version of this American classic sandwich my entire famiglia loves. —cucina di mammina
Serves: 2 to 3 servings or more
pound pecan wood smoked organic thick-sliced bacon
large loaf fresh ciabatta bread
fresh baby arugula
baby tri-color sweet peppers (yellow, red and orange)
sun dried tomatoes preserved in olive oil
good quality store variety mayonnaise
fresh vine-ripe beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- De-seed and clean the baby sweet peppers, leave them whole and layer onto a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt. Roast in a 450 degree oven until they begin to soften and the edges blacken a bit, the aroma will tell you when they are close to done.
- Remove from the oven, place in a bowl to cool. In the same 450 degree oven, place the slices of bacon on a large baking sheet spaced evenly and bake until sizzling and golden brown and crispy (I love mine extra crispy with some darker edges.)
- Remove from the oven and drain the slices carefully on paper towel on a large flat platter to remove excess oil, etc.
- Toast large sections of the ciabatta bread sliced in half until crispy and golden brown. Depending on the size of your loaf of bread you can make up to three sandwiches with this recipe.
- Take the roasted peppers (approx. 1/4 cup or more to taste) along with a good measure of the sun dried tomatoes (drained a bit, approx. 1/4 cup or more to taste.)
- Add about 3/4 to 1 cup of mayonnaise to the food processor bowl, and if desired add a cut up garlic clove to taste.
- Pulse this mixture until all the ingredients are well-blended. Taste for seasoning (add salt, pepper, etc.) and add more roasted peppers and/or sun dried tomatoes to your personal taste.
- Arrange your sandwiches by slathering a good amount of the flavored mayonnaise on the top slice of the toasted ciabatta, arrange several slices of the bacon strips on the bottom slice of toasted ciabatta, two to three tomato slices, and a good handful of fresh arugula.
- You can add more mayonnaise if desired and gently press down on the entire sandwich to meld the flavors together. Serve immediately.