If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Adapted from the standard pumpkin bread recipes that have been floating around the web forever hailed as the "best" pumpkin bread. And hey, call it "a mother's touch", but every time I smell this baking in the oven I immediately start to reminisce my childhood. The intoxicating pumpkin smell perfuming the entire house as we watch football on Thanksgiving.. but why wait until Thanksgiving to make it when I can cheat my way and make it before the holidays, right..? :) This recipe has less sugar, no oil, and uses a little special ingredient to get that amazing MOIST texture of a great pumpkin bread - BANANA. The darker/browner the banana, the better (and the less sugar you will need). I also adjusted this recipe and used UNSWEETENED ALMOND MILK and pumpkin pie spice. Still came out AMAZING! It makes 3 huge loaves. Great to disperse among friends, holiday baking exchanges, etc. Also they are great frozen to save for a later day, if they last that long... Eat a slice for break; as kids we would toast slices and slather homemade pumpkin/apple/favorite nut butter. Grab a slice for a snack, dessert, or midnight munchie with cream cheese and pumpkin seeds =D Varieties are endless!! —Stacy
Makes: 3 loaves (8x4x2)
15 oz can pumpkin puree
cups granulated sugar
small overly-ripe banana, smashed
cups AP flour
teaspoons baking soda
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoons nutmeg (or pumpkin pie spice)
cup non-fat milk (**Used almond milk in this recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease bottom and sides of 3 loaf pans. Set aside.
- In an extra large mixing bowl beat the sugar and smashed banana with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined and incorporated. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg/pumpkin pie spice). Add dry ingredients & milk/non-dairy substitute alternatively into the sugar mixture. Beat after each addition on low speed just until combined. Beat in pumpkin puree at the end.
- Spoon batter evenly among 3 bread loaves. Bake in oven for 50-60 minutes until golden brown on top or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers come out clean. If the top of your bread is browning too fast, loosely place a sheet of foil on top and continue baking. **DO NOT CHANGE OVEN TEMP**
- When done remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
- **IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BAKE AS MUFFINS** (Standard muffin tin of 12): Keep the oven temperature and make for 15-20 minutes. My oven is slightly hotter than others so mine took 12 minutes.
- STORING: Baked breads can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Keep them in loaves or slice in portions, as desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good