If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An excellent excuse to indulge in chocolate for breakfast, this decadent banana bread is actually on the healthier side. —Lauren
Makes 1 loaf
- 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1/3 cup neutral-flavored vegetable oil, such as safflower oil
- 1/2 cup unrefined granulated sugar, such as evaporated cane juice
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg (if using), and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk mashed bananas, oil, both sugars, egg, and vanilla extract until well-combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a wooden tester (or toothpick) inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good