If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I used four (five, counting garnish) types of onions in this soup. It is a simple soup but it has lots of flavors. The onions really got to me. I cried all my mascara off! I hope it makes you happy. —dymnyno
2 large yellow onions, large chop
2 large red onions, large chop
2 leeks, chopped
12 large shallots, chopped
2 quarts chicken stock
4 or 5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Italian parsley, fine chop
1 cup dry Marsala
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
- Saute all the onions and the garlic in a large pan with 3 tbs olive oil. (you can use butter if you want)
- Pour 1 cup Marsala in the onions and cook for a minute to deglaze the pan.
- Heat the chicken stock in a large pot.
- Add the onions to the chicken stock and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Put about 4 cups of the onions in a blender and blend until smooth and thick. (Don't include very much liquid in the blender) ADD this back to the soup.
- ADD 1 cup of heavy cream to the soup. ADD the parsley to the soup.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- As you serve, garnish with chopped chives or scallions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Onion or Garlic Soup