Author Notes: I used four (five, counting garnish) types of onions in this soup. It is a simple soup but it has lots of flavors. The onions really got to me. I cried all my mascara off! I hope it makes you happy. —dymnyno
2 large yellow onions, large chop
2 large red onions, large chop
2 leeks, chopped
12 large shallots, chopped
2 quarts chicken stock
4 or 5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Italian parsley, fine chop
1 cup dry Marsala
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
- Saute all the onions and the garlic in a large pan with 3 tbs olive oil. (you can use butter if you want)
- Pour 1 cup Marsala in the onions and cook for a minute to deglaze the pan.
- Heat the chicken stock in a large pot.
- Add the onions to the chicken stock and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Put about 4 cups of the onions in a blender and blend until smooth and thick. (Don't include very much liquid in the blender) ADD this back to the soup.
- ADD 1 cup of heavy cream to the soup. ADD the parsley to the soup.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- As you serve, garnish with chopped chives or scallions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Onion or Garlic Soup