Author Notes: Like most folk, my first cesar salad wasn't in a recipe. It was from a bottle of store-bought dressing. Years later I learned creamy garlic dressing with cheese isn't cesar salad dressing. I got this recipe from the Register Guardian (a newspaper from Eugene Oregan USA). It was a clipping a room mate was using as a bookmark. I made him loose his place. Fortunately, he forgave me after trying this salad. Make only as much as you need as it doesn't really store well. There's no anchovies in this recipe; which makes it lighter and less salty in flavour than what you typically get in a restaurant. —ketherian
cups white bread, sliced into 1/2-inch cubes.
cup olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon
handfuls romain lettuce, head washed and spun dry. Leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
clove garlic, peeled and havled lengthwise
teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
teaspoon worcestershire sauce
cup roman cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees C.
- Toss bread cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil in large bowl, then spread them out evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until uniformly golden brown. Watch them like a hawlk (I typically burn some or all of them).
- Drain on paper towels and reserve.
- Rub large wooden salad bowl well with garlic; then discard the garlic. Note that this doesn't work with a metal bowl. If using a glass bowl, sliver the garlic finely and leave in the bowl. The flavour will be stronger, but at least not lacking.
- Break romaine into bowl in bite-size pieces, drizzle with remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Soft-boil the egg white. One minute in boiling water, or divide the egg, and put the egg white in an open bowl in the microwave until it just begins to solidify (about 30 seconds or less).
- Whisk the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and egg white into the bowl together.
- Pour the resulting mixture over the lettuce.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the lettuce.
- Toss until every leaf glistens.
- Add the croutons and toss again.
- Serve immediately.