If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cake was really moist and the citrus flavour from the lemon was nicely incorporated with the sweet cinnamony apples. Seriously, what a cake! —Oh Sweet Day!
Makes one 8-inch cake
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder1/2
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pieces eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 piece lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pieces large apples, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, whisk eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add butter, and continue whisking to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together yogurt, lemon zest, juice and vanilla. Set aside.
- With the mixer on low speed, add half of the flour mixture. Once combined, add the yogurt mixture, mix until just blended. Slowly add the remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake pan. Arrange the apple slices on top of the cake. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good
More Great Recipes: