Author Notes: This creamy leek and apple soup is simple to make, but an earthy, complex antidote to Fall’s cooler temps. The homemade lends substance and the Garam Masala gives the soup an unexpected twist of global flavor. It’s both familiar and new, the best kind of combination. —Feed Me Dearly
quart chicken stock
cup to ½ cup of heavy cream
tablespoon Garam Masala
handfuls of pepitas
Some olive oil
A few sprigs of cilantro
- Bring to a boil the chicken stock, the cleaned and sliced leeks, and the peeled and cubed apple. The stock will barely cover the vegetable/fruit mixture.
- When the mixture boils, turn it down to a simmer until the veg/fruit are soft (approx 20 mins).
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender
- Add 1/4 cup of heavy cream and 1/2 Tablespoon of Garam Masala (or to taste)
- Puree again to blend, season to taste with with salt and pepper
- Serve with a touch more cream, pepitas that have been sautéed in a little olive oil with more salt and Garam Masala powder, and a few sprigs of cilantro for color.