Author Notes: Toasted hazelnuts make for a rich frangipane. This tart is studded with decadent chocolate and tart cranberries for a festive dessert. —Sasha Swerdloff
Makes: 6-8 4 inch tarts or 1 9 inch tart
cup butter, at room temperature
cup cane sugar
cup semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
cup fresh or frozen cranberries, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 6-8 4 inch tart rings or a 9 inch springform pan. If using tart rings, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment. If using a springform, line the bottom with parchment.
- Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 minutes or until fragrant.
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a food processor and grind into a flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the sugar, and continue beating.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Mix in the hazelnut flour and cornstarch.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate and cranberries.
- Spread the batter into the tart rings or springform pan and gently press whole cranberries into the top. Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until slightly puffed and golden around the edges.