If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Very lightly adapted from The Southern Slow Cooker by Kendra Bailey Morris. But this is just as easy on the stove: just pile everything in a pot, cover it, and cook very, very slowly, over at least an hour, until the cabbage goes slack and the flavors merge. If you are using a slow cooker, this fits nicely in a 5- or 6-quart size. —Nicholas Day
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 tart apples, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 pinch caraway seeds
- 1 pound smoked sausage links, halved
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Salt minimally. Mix well and nestle the sausage halves among the cabbage, so they are less likely to dry out. Cover and cook on low for at least 6 hours and as much as 8, stirring occasionally. Taste and then salt again. Serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!