If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These shortbread hoops are super-charged with cocoa powder, finely grated dark chocolate, and a hint of cinnamon. The grated chocolate blends and melts completely into the dough, yielding a rich and intense shortbread that's perfect for the holidays. —Mandy @ Lady and pups
Makes 12 to 14 rings
- 13 tablespoons (180 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (45 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (45 grams) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) cocoa powder (use dutch-processed for an even deeper color)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (85 grams) finely grated dark chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- TO MAKE THE SHORTBREAD DOUGH: Grate dark chocolate through the finest holes on a cheese grater, and set aside. In a food-processor, add unsalted butter, light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, vanilla extract, and kosher salt. Run until the butter is light, fluffy, and creamy, approximately 2 minutes (scrape the bowl once or twice in between). Add the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, grated dark chocolate, and ground cinnamon. Pulse/run until a cohesive dough has come together. Gather it into a ball, wrap the shortbread dough in parchment paper, and chill in the fridge for 1 hour before rolling.
- TO BAKE THE COOKIES: Preheat the oven on 325° F (165° C). Dust the working surface lightly with flour, then roll the shortbread-dough out until 1/4-inch thick. Using one large round cookie cutter and one small round cookie cutter to cut out as many donut-shaped rings as you can. Transfer the cut cookies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gather the scraps, roll out, and cut again. Repeat this process until you've used up all the shortbread dough. Keep the cookies wrapped in the fridge or freezer if not baking immediately.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 20 to 22 minutes. Let them cool completely on a cooling rack, then dust with powdered sugar.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!