If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These are not your average chocolate cookies. They are dense and slightly spicy, with chunks of raisins and chocolate chips for texture. —Hillary Pollak
Makes 4 dozen
For the cookies:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 54 grams oat flour
- 58 grams brown rice flour
- 28 grams potato starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
For the cinnamon sugar coating:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine the butter, unsweetened chocolate, and chili powder in a medium bowl and set over a pot of barely simmering water. Make sure that the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until melted, then remove the bowl from the heat. Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, black pepper, salt, and xanthan gum in a small bowl. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, then stir until just incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips and raisins. Form the dough into a large mound, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. The dough can also be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl to make the coating.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and form it into 1 inch-wide balls (each should be about a tablespoon). Roll the balls in the sugar mixture, then place them 1 inch apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake the cookies until they are puffy and cracked, about 12 to 15 minutes. They should not spread too much. Transfer them to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: Cookies