If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is adapted from Kristen Maloney, our librarian in Chilmark, and was originally made with chicken. —chris fischer
Serves 12 to 18
- 1 whole turkey, between 13 and 15 pounds
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 cup tamari
- 1 cup water
- 5 onions, peeled and quartered
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Squeeze lemon over the top of the turkey and place rinds into cavity, season the outside of the bird with garlic powder and add tamari and water to the bottom of the pan.
- Place onions around turkey and season every thing evenly with salt to taste then place in oven on lower rack.
- Baste the turkey every 30 minutes and cook for about 6 hours adding water as necessary to the bottom of the pan upon basting.
- Remove from the oven when the thighs are falling from the bird or can be pulled away with little to no resistance. Allow to rest for 30 minutes before serving, and do so alongside stuffing enhanced with onions from pan.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!