If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
For the apple cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Granny Smith apples (about 3), peeled, cored, and diced into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan (make sure cake pan is at least 2 inches tall). Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, then butter and flour the parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the water, and beat the batter until smooth, about 30 seconds. Stir in the apples and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake the cake 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then turn the cake out onto a cooling rack and cool completely, removing parchment paper.
- Move cake to a serving plate, and top with rum sauce (recipe follows).
For the rum sauce:
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon rum
- a good pinch of salt
- Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until butter is melted, sugar is dissolved, and the sauce is smooth.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!