The inspiration for this recipe is the Indain cooking of a friend, Dale Henry. He taught a similar recipe at my culinary studio several years ago. I lost his recipe, so I made up one of my own. I like to serve it in lieu of a salad. —AndyFood
- Serves 8 - 10
small watermelon, seedless preferred
freshly ground black pepper
small onion, julienne sliced
In This Recipe
- Remove rind and dice the half-watermelon. .
- Place 2 cups cubed watermeilon into a food mill. Process and discard seeds and pulp. Place the rest of the cubed melon in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place all juices extracted by the food mill into a small saucepot and heat over high. Boil until 1/3 cup remains.
- Add vinegar, salt, pepper, curry powder and olive oil to the pot and stir to incorporate. Add onion and stir 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a cool bowl and allow to cool for 30 minutes. (Note - this can be made 12 hours ahead and refrigerated until ready to use)
- Toss the reserved watermelon with the cooled reduction. Serve immediately or refirgerate.