Author Notes: These mini quiches are always a big hit at every summer bbq, fall tailgate party or any day!. Caramelized onion and bacon are a great combo paired with crisp golden crust. These are a great make ahead of time too - just reheat them in the oven and serve. They're great served warm or at room temp. —Sandra Dombek
large onion, finely chopped
ounces bacon, finely chopped
teaspoons whole grain mustard
black pepper, to taste
eggs - whites only
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease two round mini-muffin pans (24 mini muffins total).
- Roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick, or if using package dough, unroll sheets. Cut 24 rounds total from dough with 3-inch cutter. Line each mini-muffin tin with a dough circle. Cover with dishtowel and set aside while preparing filling.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, or until golden (caramelized onion is slow-cooked to bring out the sweetness). Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add bacon to the pan and cook until crisp. Mix with the onion. Add mustard and season with pepper. Place a small amount of mixture in each pastry shell, using all of mixture.
- Pour a small amount of egg whites over each pastry shell over onion/bacon mixture.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Egg Whites