- Makes 1-9 inch pie
My friend made this for a luncheon 30 years ago, I promptly stole the recipe.
This is a showstopping dessert every single time!
Simple, and can be made ahead of time, (can be kept in the freezer, for emergency dessert needs) and is outrageously delicious.
For our family I make 4 at a time, 1 to serve in normal serving sizes to the guests, and 1 for each of us to devour at our own pace after they leave! —Harmony
Crushed Saltine Crackers
1 1/2 cups
Heavy Whipping Cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9 inch pie plate with butter.
- Line pie plate with buttered aluminum foil.
- In a mixer, on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Sprinkle in sugar, 2 Tablespoons at a time, until you have stiff glossy, peaks that stand up. *NOTE: Very important, it MUST BE VERY STIFF PEAKS, or pie won't come out correctly.
- Beat in vanilla.
- With only a few light bursts of the mixer, mix in pecans, crackers and baking powder. If not mixed in well, fold in by hand.
- Spread in greased and foiled pie plate.
- Bake 35 minutes. *NOTE: Light golden brown color, (light golden brown sugar color). NOT brown.
- Cool in pan for 2 hours.
- Flip pie out of foil, pop back into pie plate. Cover with parchment paper and wrap tightly with foil.
- Chill in freezer 1/2 hour or longer.
- About 1/2 an hour before serving, remove pie from freezer. Whip cream until soft almost stiff peaks form. Gradually shake in powdered sugar until it is the sweetness you like.
- While pie warms up, prepare whipping cream. Whip cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add powdered sugar until you achieve the desired sweetness. (It's a sweet pie, so go easy) Keep beating till stiff peaks form.
- Serve slices of pie, topped generously with whipped cream, along with a nice brandy, whiskey or other warming drink. Enjoy!
- NOTE: Because this is a light dessert, I make many at once. Prepare and bake as directed. Just wrap tightly in parchment paper, and foil to store in freezer. They lose a touch of the meringuiness, but are still wonderful,