If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am always striving to cook delicious and nutritious food and this recipe makes the fluffiest pancakes while avoiding the calories, carbs and sugars overload. The egg whites is what makes these pancakes so light, the ricotta and milk add proteins, and the blueberries sauce gives it sweetness without adding all the sugar in maple syrup (although you're welcome to add some if you'd like!) It's a very balanced and complete breakfast. I have made this recipe forever, but it was originally adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe in the magazine "light & fit" column. Enjoy! —urbancooknyc
- 12 ounces frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2/3 cup low-fat ricotta
- 1/4 cup milk, 2%
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, virgin (or canola oil)
- Make the blueberries sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook blueberries, 2 Tbsp water, 1 Tbsp sugar, the lemon zest, and cinnamon, stirring frequently, until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pancakes: Blend one egg yolk and ricotta in a food processor until smooth. Add milk, lemon juice, flour, remaining 2 tsp sugar, baking powder, and salt, and process until completely blended. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Beat 2 egg whites in another bowl until stiff peaks form; fold gently into batter.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Pour batter into skillet by the quarter cup (scant). Cook until tops are bubbly and dry-looking, about 4 minutes; turn and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes more.
- Serve with blueberry sauce. Garnish with fresh berries or powder sugar, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Egg Whites