If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Apple Pie is a nice variation on traditional apple pie. I use egg whites for the Meringue and homemade Almond paste and substitute a pastry crust with puff pastry, which give the pie a very light and airy look and texture. —Kukla
For the Apple filling and Puff pastry
- • 7 cups very thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- • 2/3 cup brown sugar
- • 1 tablespoons corn or potato starch
- • 1 cup sour cream
- • 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- • Zest of one lemon
- • 1 tablespoon butter
- • 1 sheet frozen all butter puff pastry, defrosted
For the Almond paste and Meringue
- For the Almond Paste:
- • 1 cup blenched Almonds +1/4 cup sugar
- • 1 large egg white
- • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- • 1 teaspoon almond extract
- For the Meringue:
- • 4 large egg whites
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 6 tablespoons sugar
- • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Unfold the sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured board and roll it slightly with a floured rolling pin until it's a 12 by 12-inch square. Using a round 10- inches cake pan as a guide make a nice, smooth imprint of a circle in the dough. Cut the dough into a large circle, following the shape of the cake pan.
- Fold the dough over the rolling pin and transfer it into buttered 10-inches in diameter pie plate. Keep refrigerated until ready to assemble and bake the pie.
- To make the Almond paste: In a food processor, process the almonds and sugar until powdery, about 1 minute. Add the egg white, butter and almond extract. Process until the mixture forms a ball.
- To make the apple filling: In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. In a small bowl, whisk sugar, starch, sour cream, egg yolks and lemon zest until smooth. Pour over apples and toss to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Get the pie plate with the puff pastry out of the refrigerator and spread almond paste all over the bottom and the sides of the pastry. Pour filling into crust; dot with butter. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
- To make the Meringue: In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites and salt on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Add the vanilla extract and beat some more, until the vanilla is incorporated and meringue is puffed and shiny.
- Reduce heat to 300°. Spread the meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in the oven to room temperature. Serve a nice wedge of the pie and enjoy! Store in the refrigerator.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Egg Whites