Author Notes: Speculoos, a traditional crunchy spiced shortcrust cookie and one of Europe´s best gourmet biscuits to accompany coffee. Gluten, dairy and egg free recipe! —Joana
Makes: 30 cookies
cup brown rice flour + more to sprinkle
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoons speculoos spice (or 5 Spice, Mixed Spice, Pumpkin Pie Spice).
cup dark muscovado sugar
tablespoons olive oil (or other oil)
tablespoons almond milk
In This Recipe
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Cream oil and sugar for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. If necessary, use a fork to better incorporate the sticky sugar lumps. Beat in half the flour mixture and the milk. Add remaining flour and mix to make a light dough (approx. 10 minutes).
- Set aside in the fridge for 4 to 5 hours or overnight to allow the spices to permeate the dough and add extra flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the speculoos molds lightly with flour. Insert dough into the molds, press firmly and gently roll over using a rolling pin. Trim excess dough horizontally with a knife. Gently remove dough out of mold with fingertips and onto the baking sheet. This is a slow and delicate process but totally worth it. If you don’t have speculoos molds, simply spread the dough and cut it with cookie cutters.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180ºC/350ªF and bake each batch at a time for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the mold you use.
- Let the cookies cool on the tray for 10 minutes before eating or storing in an airtight container (cookies will keep for up to 1 week).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2