If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Vegetarian Nachos... even a carnivore would find these hard not to love! —mtlabor
Makes 1 big heaping pile of nachos!
- 1 large jicama, peeled and sliced thin or into wedges
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/2 large papaya, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- juice from 8 key limes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 corn tortillas, quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- vegetables oil, for frying
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Because I couldn't use my jicama as taco shells, I used them as faux nacho chips instead. Along with a mixture of corn tortilla chips (which I'll give the details on making here in a minute) to give it some added texture. And let me just say... I love jicama. Not many people know about jicama (key example, the grocery store clerk who completely had the "what the hell is this?" look on his face). It's kind of ugly on the outside, but on the inside is a sweet apple-y flavored vegetable after you peel the exterior. Anyway, I digress...
- In a medium bowl, lightly mash up the avocados, papaya, and tomato. Mix in the lime juice, coriander, cinnamon, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix in as much of the 1/2 cup of cilantro as you'd like, but save some for topping if you wish.
- To make your tortilla chips, add enough vegetable oil to a large heavy pan to bring it up about 1/2 and inch. Heat the oil under medium high heat and fry about 10 chips at a time, or more if you wanted to and had a big enough pan. Cook each for about 30-45 seconds per side. Place in a bowl lined with paper towels and salt each batch as they come out of the oil. It will allow the salt to "stick" on the chip, if you will.
- To plate, get a large plate and mix in the jicama with the chips. Pile on the avocado mixture, top with shredded cheese, and then sour cream, if desired. Maybe strict vegans can't do those last 2 toppings, but pile it on however you wish!