Author Notes: Confession! This is a family recipe from a co-worker, but I've adopted it into my family and we make it every summer when the zucchini are big and ripe in the garden. My co-worker says her family calls it "brake" because it's a cross between bread and cake - a great dense consistency with a sweet bite. I'm calling it a dessert - perhaps an icing is in order?! It's terribly easy to put together. Just plan to bake in the morning or late at night during the summer - this recipe calls for a 350 degree oven for an hour. Find recipe nutrition and more photos at http://www.vegetarianized.com/2009/08/zucchini-brake/. —Vegetarianized.com
cups zucchini, grated
cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
cup light brown sugar
teaspoon real vanilla extract
cups all-purpose flour
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grate the zucchini into a colander and let drain briefly.
- Then, stir together zucchini, butter, eggs, milk, and brown sugar in a bowl. Add flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and mix together until combined.
- Pour mixture into a 8" or 9" cooking spray sprayed pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then gently turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2