- Makes 10-12
Poppy seed are not only great addition to sprinkle over bread-they make perfect puddings.These rolls are a traditional Polish treat for Christmas with a twist.Made with challah dough make them even more perfect. —Bea
What You'll Need
fresh yeast,room temperature
egg yolks,room temperature
rapeseed or sunflower oil
- Poppy seed filling
orange peel from 1 orange
vanilla seeds from 1 pod
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over barely warm water. Beat in oil,egg yolks,honey and salt.Add the flour one cup at a time, beating after each addition, graduating to kneading with hands as dough thickens. Knead until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled in bulk.
- In a meantime,boil water in a kettle.Place poppy seeds in a bowl and cover them with hot water,stir and leave until water cools down.Poppy seeds will absorb some water, and should look like wet sand :).Place poppy seeds on a sieve and let them drain.Mince poppy seeds using a meat mincer twice(there should be some white „flesh” visible) or place in a food processor and wizz to a smooth paste.Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Punch down the risen dough and turn out onto floured board.Roll it out to a rectangle 25×30 cm.Spread the filling over it,leaving about 1cm/0.5 inch edges around.Roll it starting from the shorter edge.Cut into pieces with string or knife and arrange them on a tray lined with a baking paper.Let it „rise” for around 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 190 C/Fan 170 C/Gas 5.
- Beat an egg and brush over each bun before you put it in the oven.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes.Cool on a rack before serving.
- Enjoy x