If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Poppy seed are not only great addition to sprinkle over bread-they make perfect puddings.These rolls are a traditional Polish treat for Christmas with a twist.Made with challah dough make them even more perfect. —Bea
- 15 grams fresh yeast,room temperature
- 125 milliliters tepid water
- 2 egg yolks,room temperature
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons clear honey
- 1-2 pinches salt
- 240 grams bread flour
Poppy seed filling
- 125 grams poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 40 grams sultanas
- 30 grams walnuts,chopped
- 40-50 milliliters clear honey
- 1 tablespoon butter,soft
- orange peel from 1 orange
- vanilla seeds from 1 pod
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over barely warm water. Beat in oil,egg yolks,honey and salt.Add the flour one cup at a time, beating after each addition, graduating to kneading with hands as dough thickens. Knead until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled in bulk.
- In a meantime,boil water in a kettle.Place poppy seeds in a bowl and cover them with hot water,stir and leave until water cools down.Poppy seeds will absorb some water, and should look like wet sand :).Place poppy seeds on a sieve and let them drain.Mince poppy seeds using a meat mincer twice(there should be some white „flesh” visible) or place in a food processor and wizz to a smooth paste.Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Punch down the risen dough and turn out onto floured board.Roll it out to a rectangle 25×30 cm.Spread the filling over it,leaving about 1cm/0.5 inch edges around.Roll it starting from the shorter edge.Cut into pieces with string or knife and arrange them on a tray lined with a baking paper.Let it „rise” for around 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 190 C/Fan 170 C/Gas 5.
- Beat an egg and brush over each bun before you put it in the oven.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes.Cool on a rack before serving.
- Enjoy x