If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These are the ultimate healthy breakfast muffin: delicious and fragrant and full of raisins, apples, carrots, and fresh date paste as a healthy sweetener. If you like a slightly sweeter muffin, add some sugar to the recipe (as instructed). —Gena Hamshaw
Makes 1 dozen
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (or 1 teaspoon ginger, ground)
- 1 cup date paste (https://food52.com/recipes/32650-date-paste)
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1 cup soy or almond milk
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 1 small apple, grated
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Line 12 muffin tins with liners, or oil them lightly.
- Mix the flax meal and warm water together; set the mixture aside to let it "gel."
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the raisins, walnuts, and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the date paste, sugar if desired, non-dairy milk, and oil. Stir in the flax mixture.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ones until everything is well incorporated, and then fold in the carrot and apple.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean. Allow them to cool before enjoying.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!