Author Notes: This combination of hearty beetroot with carrots, tart cranberries and buttery pistachios boasts a glut of wholesome ingredients and lots of festive colour. These muffins rise high, and are tender and light with just a touch of sweetness -- the perfect winter treat that won't weigh you down but rather, lift your mood. —Jamie Pea
Makes: 12 muffins
grams all-purpose flour
grams whole-wheat flour
teaspoons baking powder
grams beetroot, steamed or boiled then peeled and puréed
grams light brown sugar
grams sunflower oil
grams soy milk
teaspoon fine sea salt
grams dried cranberries
grams carrots, coarsely grated
grams shelled raw pistachios, roughly chopped (reserve a few whole pistachios)
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and baking powder. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- In a blender, tip in the beetroot purée, eggs, sugar, oil, milk and salt. Blend on medium speed until the mixture is completely emulsified, about 30 seconds.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour and fold through with a rubber spatula just until evenly combined, then add the cranberries and grated carrots. Fold the batter until all ingredients are combined and evenly distributed.
- Scoop the batter into muffin trays either lined with paper or greased, or directly into silicone trays. It's much easier, and you'll get more uniformly sized muffins, if you use a mechanical ice cream scoop (the kind that sweeps the batter off the scoop with a squeeze of the hand or push of a thumb).
- Sprinkle a few whole pistachios over the tops of each muffin, then sprinkle over the roughly chopped pistachios over the tops of each muffin to finish. Bake at 177*C (350*F) for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.