Author Notes: This wintry kale salad straddles the line between salad and slaw, and does so with finesse. It's hearty, bright, and can even hold its own in the fridge overnight. If I'm in the mood for heat (which is pretty much always) I like to serve with big pinches of red pepper flakes. Visit on my blog at: http://www.hungryinlove.com/blog/2014/11/18/kale-celery-fennel-salad —Emily Nichols | www.hungryinlove.com
bunch lacinto kale, tough stems removed sliced into thin strips
medium fennel bulb, shaved on mandolin (1/16th inch setting)
celery stalks, shaved on mandolin (1/16th inch setting)
cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
cup Pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated
tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- De-stem and shop the kale.
- Shave the fennel and celery.
- Toast the nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly browned and aromatic, about 3-4 minutes. Roughly chop the nuts.
- Grate the cheese.
- Toss all ingredients together until well coated.
- Finish with salt and pepper
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes