If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes one 9-inch cake
Orange Polenta Cake
- 220 grams butter
- 220 grams caster sugar
- 225 grams ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 grams polenta
- 3 eggs
- 10 cardomom pods
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 zest of 1 orange
- 3 juice of 3 oranges
- 2 juice of 2 lemons
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a 9 inch cake tin with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
- Combine the ground almonds to the mixture.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the mixture until combined.
- Combine the polenta baking powder, orange zest and juice of 1 orange to the mixture and fold through by hand.
- Crush the cardamom pods, take out the black seeds and grind to a fine powder. Add this to the cake mixture until well combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the cake tin and bake for 45 mins or until the cake is firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup by adding the juice of 2 oranges and 2 lemons to a saucepan. Bring to the boil and add the honey and cinnamon sticks.
- Simmer the liquid for about 5 mins until a thin syrup has formed.
- Whilst the cake is warm and still in the cake tin, spike holes into the top layer of the cake and pour the hot syrup over the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool before taking it out of the cake tin.
- Garnish with candied orange slices (recipe below) and serve with yoghurt.
Candied Orange Slices
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 orange sliced thinly
- Add the water and sugar to a large pan and bring to a boil. Continue to stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the thin orange slices to the pan on a single layer.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the orange slices until the white piths of the orange turn translucent. Occasionally turn the slices and simmer for about 40 mins.
- Allow the orange slices to cool in the syrup before decorating it onto the cake.
- This can be made in advance and can be stored in an airtight container in the dark for up to a year.