Author Notes: When I was little, polenta was one of my favorite meals. Mom would spread any leftover polenta in a pan, chill it, and the next day we’d have pan-fried polenta – another great treat. —mrslarkin
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or kosher salt
- 7 cups cold water, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 or more cups Bolognese sauce, ragu, or other sauce of your choice
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- Bring 5 cups water and salt to a boil.
- Stir corn meal into 2 cups cold water until smooth. Slowly add to boiling water and whisk. Reduce heat to simmer. Continue to whisk for 5 to 8 minutes. Whisk in butter until melted. Taste for salt.
- Spoon the polenta into warmed shallow pasta bowls. Top with ragu, Bolognese, or sauce of your choice. Or drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with grated Parmigiano Reggiano.