If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Easy, homemade split-pea soup with chunks of carrot, celery and right-off-the-bone ham! Warms you up on a cold day! —garlic and zest
- 12 ounces dried split peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 leftover ham bone
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 cups cool water
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham (from ham bone)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and celery. Saute for five minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add the ham bone, peas, water and bay leaf. Stir and cover. Heat to a boil and reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer for one hour or until peas have broken apart and soup is thick. Remove ham bone and discard. Stir in diced ham and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve.