If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A 60-min start-to-finish vegetarian version of this classic Mexican soup will make anyone feel better in no time. And it IS actually "High In" Vitamin C - no joke! —Vegetarianized.com
ounces fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
quarts vegetable stock, divided
tablespoon olive oil
white onion, chopped
tablespoon dried oregano
teaspoon ground cumin
tablespoons Mexican crema or sour cream
tostadas or handful of tortilla chips
- Cut open and remove the seeds and stem from the peppers. Toast for one minute on each side in a dry skillet over medium heat. Remove and coarsely chop.
- In a food processor, add chiles, tomatoes, garlic and 2 cups stock. Puree until smooth.
- In a soup pot, heat EVOO over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the puree along with the oregano and cumin. Reduce 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium and add the remaining stock. Bring to a boil, then turn back to medium-low to simmer 30 minutes.
- Divide the soup among the bowls and garnish with 1 Tbsp crema, broken tostadas and avocado slices.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes