Author Notes: This fragrant carrot cake with a crackly top is dotted with dried fruit from mincemeat, and spiced with a little cinnamon and caramelly brown sugar. It’s easy to whip up, is made in one bowl. Serve with creme fraiche and a cup of tea. —Deepa Mistry
Makes: 1 20cm cake
grams unsalted butter, softened
grams light brown sugar
teaspoon cinnamon powder
tablespoons sweet mincemeat
- Preheat your oven to 170c fan, 180c electric, gas mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer or using a wooden spoon, until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon, grated carrot and mincemeat - mix to combine
- Tip the mixture in to 20cm round loose bottom cake tin. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for about 20 minutes before turning out, dusting with icing sugar and serving. It's lovely with a dollop of yogurt or creme fraiche.