If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Beat season for me is all year round. I order them just about whenever I see them on a menu. Beet salads are my favorite especially when simply prepared. Just one little seasoning elevates this salad to make its presence well known. Chinese 5 spice powder is a misture of (usually) star anise, cloves, cinnamon, szechuan pepper and ground fennel seeds. It includes all five flavors of sweet , salty, bitter, pungeant and sour. The flavor is very potent so I used a very small amount. —dymnyno
Serves: 2 cups
4 small beets, trimmed
2 small blood oranges
1/2 lemon (juice)
3 tbs olive oil
1/4 teaspoon 5 spice powder
the freshest burrata
1 bunch watercress
- TRIM the beets; remove the top and root ends.
- ON a large square of tinfoil, space the beets an inch apart and drizzle with a tbs of olive oil. Fold the foil into a sealed packet.
- ROAST in a 325 oven for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the beets are very tender.
- COOL and remove skin which should easily slip off. (wear gloves) Save the liquid left in the foil into a bowl.
- SLICE the beets in half , then again and again to make small cubes. Put into the bowl.
- PEEL 2 blood oranges and slice into cubes. Save the juice as you cut and add to the beets.
- SQUEEZE 1/2 lemon's juice into the beets. Add 2 tbs olive oil.
- ADD 1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice to the bowl and mix.
- SERVE around a big slice of fresh burrata. Arrange watercress around the beets.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets