Author Notes: Beat season for me is all year round. I order them just about whenever I see them on a menu. Beet salads are my favorite especially when simply prepared. Just one little seasoning elevates this salad to make its presence well known. Chinese 5 spice powder is a misture of (usually) star anise, cloves, cinnamon, szechuan pepper and ground fennel seeds. It includes all five flavors of sweet , salty, bitter, pungeant and sour. The flavor is very potent so I used a very small amount. —dymnyno
Serves: 2 cups
4 small beets, trimmed
2 small blood oranges
1/2 lemon (juice)
3 tbs olive oil
1/4 teaspoon 5 spice powder
the freshest burrata
1 bunch watercress
- TRIM the beets; remove the top and root ends.
- ON a large square of tinfoil, space the beets an inch apart and drizzle with a tbs of olive oil. Fold the foil into a sealed packet.
- ROAST in a 325 oven for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the beets are very tender.
- COOL and remove skin which should easily slip off. (wear gloves) Save the liquid left in the foil into a bowl.
- SLICE the beets in half , then again and again to make small cubes. Put into the bowl.
- PEEL 2 blood oranges and slice into cubes. Save the juice as you cut and add to the beets.
- SQUEEZE 1/2 lemon's juice into the beets. Add 2 tbs olive oil.
- ADD 1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice to the bowl and mix.
- SERVE around a big slice of fresh burrata. Arrange watercress around the beets.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets