If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A perfect recipe to whip up on a busy weeknight, thanks to a super-healthy lentil and walnut crumble filling and a low stress slaw. If you don't have cabbage, feel free to substitute what you have on hand (romaine lettuce, carrots, or cucumber will all work well). —Gena Hamshaw
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped and tightly packed oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils
- a few tablespoons water
- 2 cups green cabbage, thinly shredded and tightly packed
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly shredded and tightly packed
- 2 scallions, light green and white parts only, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, sliced in half crosswise, seeds removed, and finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons agave or maple syrup
- dash red pepper flakes (or to taste), optional
- 8 corn taco shells or tortillas, warmed
- To make the lentil walnut crumble, place the walnuts in a food processor and pulse 2 to 3 times to break them down. Add the tamari, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and vinegar and pulse 2 to 3 times more. Add the lentils and pulse until the mixture is thoroughly incorporated and crumbly (it should resemble taco meat). As you go, add a few tablespoons of water as needed. Set the crumble aside until you’re ready to use it (to save time, make the crumble a day in advance). This recipe makes 2 cups, which will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.
- To make the cabbage slaw, combine the cabbage, scallions, pepper, and cilantro in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the oil, lime juice, garlic, and agave syrup and pour it over the slaw. Mix well and add a dash of red pepper flakes if desired.
- To assemble the tacos, distribute the crumble filling evenly among the 8 taco shells. Top with a handful of the slaw, and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!